Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Ritzy Discoveries


I learned something new about SmooTEA (as I fondly call her) -- my dear bride is allergic to dust, mold and dirt. Poor darling. Sick for six whole days and no doubt made worse by the fact I gave her my initial cold developed upon our arrival back here in England a fortnight ago. After 2 full days recovering from visiting my mother and fam up in Norfolk, it was finally time to venture out of the confines of the Travelodge in Whyteleafe, Surrey, where my best friend, Richard, now lives.

Why, one might ask, would we dare risk wind, rain and cold when coughing like mad and dealing with an incessant earache? Christmas Tea at The Ritz, actually! This was, after all, to be our one big honeymoon splash planned for whilst here, and indeed it was.

Rubbing shoulders with us — the rich and privileged. The wealthy never realised just what great lengths we had gone to simply to be there, nor how we managed to be fortunate enough to get the very last spot left on the very last night of this month long extravaganza! It took some conniving, mind you. With every table for two already booked, I reached out to dear old Richard to come save the date by tagging along with us so I could at least reserve the last table open for three. Not only had he kindly obliged but even went out earlier on the day itself to buy a suit that fit, needed for the occasion. You see, we really were feeling very rich and privileged indeed. Good friends going out of their way for one, even at vast expense, are truly life long friends never to be taken for granted.

Not looking too shabby, we turned in our coats and were handed an ornamental silky rope sash with a #18 golden medal affixed for our id. With minutes until our 7:30 reservation, we snapped some photos and waited our turn. Just then, however, of all things, Richard was called in to work, having been on call the entire day. What horrid timing and after all that effort too! Like I said, a good friend indeed. Taking off, he assured us he'd try to make it back if work ended up only being a short while, especially considering our reservation warned that one would be billed for the total number in the party, regardless of any cancellations.

With the fabulously dressed and glamorous seated all around and our table set with lovely silverware, we sipped our Christmas Champagne slowly, holding off being served our three tiered platter of delicacies just in case said friend texted us his soon return.

After nibbling through salmon, cucumber, chicken and ginger sandwiches (properly prepared with the crusts removed), we shared a few of the little fancy cakes including a dark rich chocolate snowflake medallioned gateaux, Alex's particular penchant.

The best part? Real Cornish clotted cream and thick fruity strawberry jam spooned onto our light fluffy scones, all washed down with endless cups of the Ritz' Royal Black Tea. Ahhh...

Just then, I realised something though... something glorious! As lovely as this teatime was, it occurred to me that, actually, my very own Alexandra makes even better (authentic, warmed up) raisin scones and stronger, better tea with just the right combination of milk and a light dash of sugar! Funny to think that I have right at my fingertips any time I want, the very best that teatime has to offer. Wow, how I do feel humbled and blessed.

Thank you, Smoots. You really are the Queen LaTEAfa, by far! :)

~ Michael 


16 comments:

  1. Love this, hearing from the sweet husband`s perspective! What a glorious honeymoon, even through sickness, that you two will have in your memories for the rest of your lives!! I am beyond excited and pleased that you two have found each other. I have no doubt that you will have a very happy and blessed New Year!!! Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane. Absolutely sweet comment. I feel so blessed to have him in my life. :)

      Delete
  2. Ah, but can she make all those tasty delicacies as well?
    So glad you two are enjoying yourselves so much! You deserve it!

    Justine :o )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Justiney! You're absolutely sweet! xx :)

      Delete
  3. Glad you made it to the Ritz! The tea sounds amazing and beautiful photo of the 2 of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, thank you very much. It was absolutely amazing! Wish you could have been there, too. :)

      Delete
  4. This is so beautiful! Clotted cream is amazing! I have been to England several times, and that sure is a treat! A very blessed day for the both of you ;o) Mr. Toast, your sweet words for Alexandra are precious! Big Hugs to the both of you and Happy New Year ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, darling. You have?! Where did you visit? This is my first trip and I'm seriously considering transferring to London to finish my academic studies. :) xx

      Delete
  5. oh my gosh, I just found this today, I am so happy for you , ( I know I said that before) but I had no idea you married Mr.Toast, this is like a fairy tale, I am so happy , Mr.Toast and Alexandra, I wish you all the best, I truly do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurie. Hee Hee Thank you very much for your love and support! I hope you continue to follow our wonderful new journey together! :)

      Delete
  6. Aww, how sweet! Happy new year to the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much, Lisa! Same to you. :) xo

      Delete
  7. Oh wow!!! This is the first time I see your new blog! It's wonderful and really impressing! Your photos are so beautiful and I love this design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit, Stefanie. There are plenty more fabulous photos to come. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, gosh, you both are such a darling couple.
    Be blessed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you so much, Margie!! xx

      Delete