Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Falling in love with Scarborough...


A few months ago, October to be precise, Michael and I traveled back to England for a family funeral in London. After saying goodbye to his dear, sweet Aunt Sally, we took a train up north to visit his sister and mother at their new home in Scarborough, North Yorkshire.  (Yes, the home of Scarborough Fair!)

Since visiting England for the first time to meet his family after we were married, I knew it would forever be my/our, home away from home. All of those wonderful things Michael shared with me about his home (London area) came to life in ways one could never imagine; not even myself. Every memory, every story he imparted to me in some of the most intimate moments - it all came to life right before my eyes. Each place he took me to was filled with the most incredible culture and history....followed by yummy tea and cakes! Ha Ha

With that said, returning to England for the second time and visiting a new area, won my heart over completely. I found myself enamored with Scarborough, even picturing us living there happy and content. Despite most of the days being cloudy and wet, the seaside was absolutely breathtaking. We enjoyed walking up and down the cobblestone roads, nibbling on pies and peeking in the windows of some of the most quaint, adorable stores, such as Homebird House. It was filled with every creative trinket, artwork, stuffies and bunting one could lay your heart on...and then some. This girl was in heaven!


On our first night there, as the evening was closing in, Michael and I took a stroll with his youngest niece to capture the most incredible view of the harbor. No editing in the photo above. Just a quick shot with the camera from my i-Phone to keep a lasting memory of a beautiful evening in the heart of Scarborough. Needless to say, I had fallen in love...

~ Alexandra 

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this lovely snippet in time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting here, Christine. :)

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've seen THIS blog before - but I'm enjoying it! Never been to Scarborough but hopefully some day as I always love British seaside towns. . . . . especially my very own, TORQUAY.
    Hope you visit the Westcountry and our lovely Devon and Cornwall some day when home Michael - you've much more of England to share with Alexandra!

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been around for quite some time but we kind of let it go to the wayside for over a year! Oy! :) We hope to stay caught up with it now. :)

      Delete
  3. That's a lovely story and proud to be in it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww...you deserve it. Your store (and you) are lovely!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful that you are discovering England together. What lovely photos of Scarborough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos!! Beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. It was such a lovely place, Serena. :)
      xx

      Delete
  7. What a boost to the morale for our wife to mention me to you. Thank you so very much for your visit. I am still posting one photo a day, but am bringing back to life my other blog....
    buttonsforbaga.blogspot.com. There are I am moving all of my art groups and the art people that I am following. It is a huge job to switch them from one to the other. I am posting my little pieces as I do them for my journal to that blog. Now to England. I am what you would call as DISPLACED ANGLOPHILE. I took student to England and Paris for years and I went multiple ti,e each year on my own. Oh, how I would love to move to Brighton. Actually...I would move anywhere I love it so much. Even my Christmas ornaments are all woolen British ones. There is "British" all over my old farmhouse. I just love the photography. Have never been to Scarborough, but know the name because of the song. The photos touch my heart and make me miss the area even more. I ADORE Ireland, too. Went there for weeks to study fiddle at the Willy Clancy Music School in Milttown Malbay. Scotland is a love, too. After I die, it is my prayer to return in the British Isles. I will now start following this blog, too. Again, thank both of you for caring about me as such a newbie. Have a lovely photo and art filled week both of you. Genie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I've not visited the UK, I have been around Europe and just love that the cities have a quaint feel to them because of the character and history of the buildings. and the fact that everyone has pride in their surroundings.

    ReplyDelete